Thursday, May 17, 2012

Homemade Cream Filled Cupcakes with Oreos


SAM_0411
Today I felt like a hostess cupcake. I know it is not a really good thing to eat but rather than deny myself a sweet I thought why not make some?
I scoured the Internet and my favorite blogs for a recipe. I found one I liked at yourcupofcake.com but I didn’t want to completely copy her recipe.
So I used her recipe as a starting point.
For the cake I used a boxed mix. I use the Pillsbury mixes because well to be honest they are under a $1 at the store.
SAM_0405

Cake:
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
3 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce ( I used homemade sugar free, but you can use your favorite kind. I do recommend using plain.)
3/4 cup buttermilk  ( I used a powdered form and added water.)
3/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
24 Oreos
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Take the  24 Oreos and twist them apart.Take the Oreo halves with the cream and place them cream side up at the bottom of each cupcake liner.
SAM_0403
In a large bowl, gently whisk eggs, oil, applesauce, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract together
SAM_0404
Sift cake mix .Add cake mix and stir until smooth. ( I poured the cake mix into my sifter over the liquid mixture, but you can sift it into another bowl then add it.)
SAM_0406
It will look really fluffy.
Fill cupcake liners (over your Oreo halves) 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife  or toothpick comes out clean.
SAM_0407
I found 18 minutes to be perfect but go by your oven. I recommend not opening the oven too often to check. It makes your cupcakes fall in the center and take longer to bake.
 
Oreo Filling:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened ( Don’t use margarine , makes it taste greasy and gross)
3-4 cups powdered sugar ( I only used 3 cups and had leftover filling.
remaining Oreo halves, crushed very finely. I crushed them in a Ziploc bag with my rolling pin.
 
Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.  Add 1/3 cup of this Oreo "powder" to your filling and stir.
When cupcakes have cooled, use a knife to cut "cones" out of the top of each cupcake, deep enough to fill with your filling.( I used my filling tip a Giant star tip.  Use a spoon or a piping bag to fill the holes in the cupcakes with your Oreo filling.
SAM_0408

Chocolate Ganache:
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chocolate (chips or melts)
1/2 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Place chocolate, honey and vanilla extract in a heat proof bowl. Pour  heavy cream over chocolate.Microwave about 2 minutes or until cream forms bubbles on the edges. Whisk until smooth. You may need to let it cool for a few minutes to let it thicken.
Spoon chocolate ganache over your cupcakes, let set ( I  of little patience swirled my cupcakes in the ganache. Then topped each one off with a small spoonful to make even .
SAM_0409SAM_0410
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment