Friday, May 25, 2012

Raspberry Cream Cupcakes Version 1

My friend Heather’s birthday is coming up in July. She is particular about food and has great taste in most everything ( We are friends)So for her birthday I told her I’d make her some special cupcakes.
I mentioned a chocolate,raspberry, coffee combo. She agreed it sounded good. So I tried out my first visionary idea for these cupcakes.
I am not a coffee drinker so the idea of a coffee flavored buttercream icing sounds good but how do I stay true to its flavor, when I really have no idea what good coffee flavor is. I know how to make coffee as my husband drinks it and making a pot is a sometimes job requirement. So I made my favorite buttercream icing and instead of using extract or fruit I added a tablespoon of coffee. Then a bit more powdered sugar to get my consistency back. and set it aside.
I made my favorite devils food cake recipe and it made 24 delicious cupcakes.
While those were cooling I set about working on a raspberry cream filling. I used my buttercream recipe and added a 1/2 cup pureed frozen raspberries. Needless to say I am up to my ears in raspberry buttercream but it is beyond heavenly.
I filled the cupcakes with the raspberry buttercream then frosted a few with the coffee flavored icing and the rest with the raspberry icing.
They were both a hit at my work.
Here is a picture of the raspberry icing on one cupcake.
IMG_2557
When I get all parts exactly as I want them I’ll share the recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment